There appears to be some houses being rented out to students or multiple people. This is in my R1 zoned neighborhood. Is this acceptable under the R1 zoning laws?


Homes within the R1 Zoning District, as well as other residential zoning districts are allowed to be rented out by the property owner. The Unified Development Code, “Household” definition specifically regulates how many people are allowed to live together within a dwelling unit.
"Household" means an individual or two or more persons related by blood, marriage or legal adoption, or duly authorized custodial relationship, living together in a dwelling unit as a single housekeeping unit. Persons not related by blood, marriage, legal adoption, or duly authorized custodial relationship shall be deemed to constitute a household where they are living and cooking together as a single housekeeping unit, but the number of unrelated adults living in a dwelling unit shall not exceed three in the LR, R1 and R2 zoning districts or four in the R3 and other zoning districts where residences are permitted. Ord. 1412 § 1, 2003: Ord. 1344 § 2 (part), 2001: Ord. 194 § 12.2(11), 1964).
Based upon this definition a home in the R1 Zoning District would be allowed to have three individuals living within the dwelling unit. Please call Community Development at 307-721-5207 for more information as needed.