Country Cooking – Trinity Chili good before and after Cowboy Football!
Trinity Chili or (Cowboy Chili)
Football and fall weather make me think of making a big pot of chili. This weekend we had a little of both. Trinity Chili as I call it, it’s chili with ingredients in threes: 3 meats, 3 different types of beans, 3 different vegetables, 3 different tomatoes, and 3 different spices. If you don’t have one or two of these ingredients or if you don’t like something, it will still taste fine, that’s the beauty of chili. The main factor to cooking chili is to simmer the pot for 4-7 hours and the next day it will taste even better!
One of the best fall recipes, it serves 8-12 people a couple bowls of chili also you can make a great breakfast burrito, save some of the bacon, sausage and sautéed vegetables, add 4 eggs, and cheese and fry up a in a tortilla! The magic of cooking is making a couple meals when you go to all the trouble of cooking and messing up a bunch of pots and pans.
- 3 meats: Bacon 8 -10 slices, Sausage 1 lb, Hamburger 1lb
- 3 Vegetables: 2 Onions, 2 Peppers (Red and Green), Hot Peppers (if desired) , 4 Garlic cloves
- 3 Beans: 1 large can of Kidney Beans, 1 medium can of Black Beans, 1 medium can of Pinto Beans
- 3 Tomatoes: 1 large can Crushed Tomatoes, 1 can Tomato Paste, and 3-4 fresh Cut Up Tomatoes.
- 3 Spices: 1 tablespoon, Chili Powder (of course), 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin, 1 teaspoon of Salt and Pepper
Keys to cooking:
- Start with the meat, using the same big pot that you will make the chili in and fry up the bacon. Use the bacon grease to sauté the vegetables, in an iron skillet or frying pan brown the sausage and hamburger. (Save a little sausage, bacon and sautéed vegetables for a breakfast burrito!)
- After all the meat is brown add all meats and sautéed vegetable in the big pot. Open all beans and add the liquid for flavor. Try not to add water if you need more liquid add beer!
- Add all the tomatoes and spices and cover and let simmer as long as you can, 4 hours is good.
- Grated cheese and diced onion and serve with corn bread or tortilla.
- Enjoy the hot chili and go cheer on the Cowboys!
- After the game more chili!