Facebook has taken a page or two from the playbooks of Instagram and Twitter by launching the use of hashtags.  #Yay #Finally #Thesedidntusetowork #Abouttime

For those unfamiliar, a hashtag  is a word or a phrase prefixed with the # symbol.  Hashtags provide a means of grouping such messages, since one can search for the hashtag and get the set of messages that contain that certain phrase or word.  Facebook is coming in a little late in the hashtag game.  Other social media sites have been using the hashtag method for quite a while.  What does this mean to you?  Well.. if you are a frequent Facebooker this will come in handy when searching specific topics and conversations.  If you are rarely on Facebook, then this won't mean much to you at all.

Hashtags have been all over Facebook for a year or so now just due to the fact that many user have all their social media accounts linked together.  The hashtag was getting posted as part of the caption, but without the benefits.  I have read many posts regarding the use of hashtags on Facebook, most complaining about others using them when they are not supported by the Facebook platform.  Well those complaints will hopefully come to a halt.  Or it will just fuel the fire.  It is hard to predict the finicky nature of social media users.  The Facebook hashtag launch is limited to only 20% of select users initially.  The remaining 80% of users should see it in a few weeks.  Until then, hang tight and keep your eye out for working hashtags.  #Hanginthere #Almost here #Stopcomplaining