Sugarland – Now Facing Lawsuit after Indiana Tragedy
After the deadly stage collapse during the duo's Indiana State Fair stage collapse, comes reports that Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush are now facing legal action over injuries and the death of seven people.
According to the Associated Press, there are at least 20 law firms across three States (Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky) filing complaints alleging breach of reasonable care to the victims in Marion Superior Court in Indianapolis.
As might be expected, the suits seek unspecified damages from Sugarland, producers, stage riggers and others associated with the Aug. 13 show. Stage rigging collapsed into spectators following a wind gust of at least 60 mph, killing seven people and injuring more than 40 others.
The band was still in the wings when the wind gust occured.
Plaintiff's attorney Mario Massillamany said in a news release."Unfortunately, this tragedy could have been prevented if the responsible parties had been concerned about the concertgoers that night,"
The contract reached between Sugarland's agent, Creative Artists Agency, and the Indiana State Fair Committee guaranteed the duo $300,500 to perform, $34,500 for sound, lights and catering, and 85% of gross box office receipts over $470,000,
"This is a devastating tragedy that has impacted hundreds of people," plaintiffs' co-counsel Scott Starr said. "It is critical to help the victims pay the medical bills and other financial expenses that they have incurred from this incident."
There has been no official response from Sugarland's publicist. The complaint charges that Sugarland and the other entities owed a duty to provide a safe concert environment and use reasonable care in the direction, set-up and supervision of the concert.The complaint does not name the fair or the state of Indiana among the defendants.
There has also been no official response from the band. The suits will likely take considerable time to work their way through the courts. Stay Tuned.