UW Practice #5
Today marked the 5th day of fall camp and the second practice in full pads.
With an earlier start time (8:20 instead of 8:30) the media got to see an extra 10 minutes of practice. We watched the standard 10 minute warm-up period, more special teams work, and the first few snaps of a scrimmage.
Why the earlier start time? I could be wrong, but I assume this is Craig Bohl and the coaching staff's way of teaching attention to detail. A handful of players found that out the hard way this morning, arriving for practice 10 minutes late.
Here's what you need to know from today's practice...
- Kirkegaard. Colby Kirkegaard is the guy. He takes all of the teams first reps, he's preparing as the starter. I watched Colby throw 5 or 6 passes during the scrimmage today, he completed most of them. He doesn't have a huge arm, but his accuracy and confidence seems to be improving. We got to see him scramble on one play as the pocket collapsed. He looked good on his feet and made the right decision.
- Stratton. Sam Stratton was wearing the blue quarterback jersey, but didn't practice with the other QB's this morning. Instead, he worked on returning punts. Sam looked like one of the more solid returners. Stratton will most likely share time with D.J. May and David Leonard.
- Bohl. Wyoming has found the perfect balance in a head coach personality. Before each practice Craig Bohl shakes hands with fans, media, training staff, and players. He shows up with a smile and a cup of coffee. When practice begins, there's a switch. Today he saw something he didn't like on a punt formation and a combination of every expletive I know, and some others I don't, flew out of his mouth at once. It wasn't even a true profanity, just a frustrated mess of consonants. Respect and likability, something UW's basketball coaches have, and now our football coach does too.
- Weather. I know this is a random detail that doesn't have anything to do with football. But, when days in Laramie are as nice as they were for practice this morning, you have to mention it.
- Scouts. NFL scouts from the Seattle Seahakws and San Diego Chargers were in attendance at today's practice. I saw some eyeballs on D.J. May.
Sunday, Aug. 10 – 2:45 p.m. (Practice #8)
Monday, Aug. 11 – 9 a.m. (Practice #9) | 3:50 p.m. (Practice #10)
Tuesday, Aug. 12 – 9:20 a.m. (Practice #11)
Wednesday, Aug. 13 – 9 a.m. (Practice #12) | 4 p.m. (Practice #13)
Thursday, Aug. 14 – 9:50 a.m. (Practice #14)
Friday, Aug. 15 – 9 a.m. (Practice #15) | 4:20 p.m. (Practice #16)
Saturday, Aug. 16 – 11 a.m. (Closed Scrimmage, Practice #17)
Sunday, Aug. 17 – No Practice
Monday, Aug. 18 – 8:20 a.m. (Practice #18) | 2:50 p.m. (Practice #19)
Tuesday, Aug. 19 – 9:20 a.m. (Practice #20)
Wednesday, Aug. 20 – 9:50 a.m. (Practice #21)
Thursday, Aug. 21 – 9:20 a.m. (Practice #22)
Friday, Aug. 22 – 9:20 a.m. (Practice #23)
Saturday, Aug. 23 – 11 a.m. (Practice #24)
Monday, Aug. 25 – First Weekly Press Conference at Noon