Wyoming’s Most Underrated Towns (Poll Results)
Only one town, Laramie, is included in a brand new ranking of the most underrated towns in the Rocky Mountain Region. The fact is, in all our vast Cowboy State, we have some more highly underrated towns.
Website thrillist.com actually tried to explain themselves by claiming, “The least populated state, Wyoming isn’t exactly known for its cities.” Not known for our cities? Nice try!
It's true Casper, Cheyene and Jackson Hole can't be underrated, because they certainly are known well everywhere. Remember those, frill uhhh, thrilly?
We’ll take it from here, and in alphabetical order. Here are 5 low populated places that can multiply on any given weekend.
- CODY is at “Yellowstone’s Edge,” not to mention edge of the Shoshone River, with plenty of history that isn’t all just about Buffalo Bill, though it was named after William Frederick Cody. See also Hotel Irma, and beauty everywhere.
- LANDER has another look that’s no less beautiful, so some scenery makes it hard to keep driving up to the speed limit. Seven minutes from Sinks Canyon State Park, numerous annual events keep us busy.
- SARATOGA has a population around 1,690, but not when it is home to the Steinley Cup microbrew competition (August) held at Veterans Island Park, a playground and picnic on a small island in the North Platte River. The town’s motto is, “Where The Trout Leap In Main Street.”
- SHERIDAN is a cool town at the base of The Big Horns. Swim in summer and ski in winter. It hosts the world renowned Ice Fishing Derby, and Wyoming’s renown Black Tooth Brewery – not the only great brewer in Sheridan.
- THERMOPOLIS is Greek for “Hot City,” also special for the smell of sulphur from Hot Springs Park. Another “Gateway to Yellowstone,” Sheridan is also home to The Wyoming Dinosaur Center, and a blue ribbon trout stream, Big Horn River.
Okay, here’s how our listeners voted.
Lander _______19.70 Percent
Saratoga ______18.31 Percent
Thermopolis ____14.08 Percent
Sheridan ______12.68 Percent
Cody ________ 9.86 Percent
Other ________ 25.35 Percent
No one town got the 25.35. Many more different towns got mention, so here are the other Top 5:
(Laramie got a few votes here as well:)