A judge set an Aug. 7 trial date during a motion hearing Tuesday for a man accused of raping and attempting to murder a four-year-old girl in September.

Natrona County District Court Judge Thomas Sullins also granted a motion by Brandtly Bedsaul's attorney for a second mental evaluation by a doctor from Colorado.

Natrona County District Attorney Mike Blonigen agreed with Kerri Johnson's motion, and agreed that the 90-day evaluation period was appropriate. State law allows defendants to have second evaluations by examiners of their choice.

Bedsaul appeared in court by Johnson. He is in custody on a $1 million bond.

Bedsaul, who was 19 at the time of his arrest, was charged in September with attempted murder by strangulation (or attempted first degree murder), which is punishable by up to life in prison without the possibility of parole; first-degree sexual abuse of a minor, punishable by up to 50 years imprisonment; one count of aggravated assault, punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment; and one count of aggravated child abuse, punishable by up to 25 years imprisonment.

He pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of mental deficiency or illness during his arraignment in district court in December. He was sent to the Wyoming State Hospital in Evanston and the Wyoming Behavioral Institute for a 120-day evaluation, according to court records.

After the hearing, Blonigen denied to identify the results of the mental evaluation

The case started the evening of Sept. 28 when police responded to a residence in Casper, according court records.

People told police they were having a gathering with family members and children. One resident realized a child was missing, called for her but was unable to find her.

He went outside and saw Bedsaul with his hands around the girl’s neck. He was naked from the waist down, and her shirt was pulled up to her neck and she was covered in blood.

She was taken by air ambulance to Denver Children’s Hospital for treatment. Nancy Johnson, victim services advocate for the district attorney's office, recently said the girl is recovering.

More From Y95 Country