The Seven Best Games In The History Of The Wyoming-CSU Border War Rivalry
As Wyoming and Colorado State prepare for the 111th meeting of their storied rivalry on Friday night in Laramie, here's a look back at the top seven games in Border War history. Naturally, they were all Wyoming wins.
1. November 16, 1996, Wyoming 25, Colorado State 24 in Fort Collins - Late in the 4th quarter, the Cowboys drove 96 yards for the game-winning touchdown. The 23rd ranked Pokes rallied to beat CSU on their way to a 10-2 record and a birth in the inaugural WAC Conference Championship Game.
2. November 4, 2017, Wyoming 16, Colorado State 13 in Laramie - A blizzard blanketed War Memorial Stadium with snow, rendering both offenses ineffective throughout the game until Josh Allen mounted a 65-yard touchdown drive late in the fourth quarter to lead Wyoming to victory.
3. October 29, 1988, Wyoming 48, Colorado State 14 in Fort Collins - This game holds a unique distinction in Border War history. Wyoming came into the game ranked #10 in the AP Poll, the highest national ranking either team has ever had. The Pokes dominated CSU from the outset, cruising to a blowout win and finishing the season 11-2.
4. October 18, 1978, Wyoming 13, Colorado State 3 in Fort Collins - The '78 Border War is memorable for what happened before the game. Prior to kickoff, Wyoming players and referees were still waiting for CSU to take the field. Instead of coming from the locker room, the Rams entered through the student section and a fight broke out before the coin toss. After the brawl was broken up, the Pokes pushed the Rams around and never trailed.
5. September 25, 1965, Wyoming 33, Colorado State 14 in Fort Collins - The longest winning streak in Border War history belongs to Wyoming, who ran off ten consecutive victories from 1956 to 1965. Their tenth straight win was a blowout, as the Cowboys cruised to an easy victory at Hughes Field. After being upset in 1966, Wyoming would compile another seven consecutive wins in the series, and by 1973, had claimed victory in 19 of 21 meetings dating back to 1953.
6. November 24, 1910, Wyoming 10, Colorado State 0 in Laramie - Prior to 1910, the Pokes had never defeated Colorado Agriculture College, compiling a record of 0-6-1 since their first meeting in 1899. After Wyoming's defense shutout the Aggies, the Cowboys blanked their rivals again the following year, winning 27-0 in Fort Collins.
7. November 20, 2010, Wyoming 44, Colorado State 0 in Laramie - Of the 110 games in Border War history, this was the most lopsided victory for either team. The Cowboys shut out the Rams for their second of four straight wins versus CSU.